UKRI Place Based Partnership – Evidence Review Launch

UKRI Place Based Partnership – Evidence Review Launch

At the beginning of 2020, colleagues from STAR Project, Renfrewshire Council and the University of the West of Scotland organised a workshop, Paisley Art & Soul. The workshop brought together members of Renfrewshire’s local communities and other stakeholders to discuss the ways that art and culture affects individual and community prosperity and wellbeing. This co-produced research project aligns closely with the aims of Future Paisley, a wide-ranging cultural regeneration programme currently ongoing and, in which, local communities are collaborating with a broad range of partners to reshape the town’s future. (more…)

Light in the Dark Days

Light in the Dark Days

On an average Monday morning at Wallace Street, I start my working day greeted by Margaret with her little Chihuahua pup in arms. She tells me about her latest knitted dog coat purchase as other bodies start to shuffle through the narrow corridor. We settle in a semi-circle of kind faces and laughter, and I can hear the sound of mugs clinking and the smell of coffee brewing in the background.

Now, my morning begins with adjusting the volume of my laptop, fixing my fringe in the camera and making sure everyone can hear me ok. (more…)

Create Paisley’s Second Open Minds Summit

Create Paisley’s Second Open Minds Summit

CCSE were partners to the Open Mind Summit along with Future Paisley, Renfrewshire Leisure, Kibble. The second annual summit hosted by Create Paisley launched the day before World Mental Health Day. It explored the role of creativity and culture in improving mental health and wellbeing for children and young people. This year’s theme was ‘how can creativity help children and young people overcome isolation and loneliness’. (more…)

Covid 19: Participatory Action Research as Emergency Response

Covid 19: Participatory Action Research as Emergency Response

Never in my professional or academic career has my field of study and work been more relevant than over the last seven months.

For the last decade I have been committed to playing my part in addressing digital inequality. I have highlighted, in both practice and study, the connection between digital inequality and wider social inequalities. I have examined how digital access, connectivity, skills and digital understanding are a crucial part of an individual’s ability to enjoy culture, leisure, and entertainment online, how these assets can open doors to address social isolation, and can unlock opportunities in education and employment.   (more…)

A Postcard from Normality…

A Postcard from Normality…

In March 2020, as offices and teaching moved online, I left Scotland for my native country of Sweden and haven’t been back since. In my research, I’m looking at the social and economic effects of festivals in Paisley, Scotland. On-site events research is, unsurprisingly, not the best line of work right now. (more…)

The Effects of Covid-19 on European Cultural Relations & the implications for Policy Makers

The Effects of Covid-19 on European Cultural Relations & the implications for Policy Makers

A couple of weeks ago, in October, CCSE premiered the latest instalment of #CCSEConversations series. On this occasion, CCSE Director Professor Gayle McPherson spoke with Gitte Zschoch – Director of EUNIC the network of European Union National Institutes for Culture. Gayle and Gitte discussed ‘the Effects of Covid-19 on European Cultural Relations and the implications for Policy Makers’. (more…)